Monday, April 18, 2011

Rude & inappropriate

There is a geriatric man on my unit who is alert and oriented.  After telling my CNAs to "suck his ___" and that his nurse is "probably jerking off," he is by far the rudest patient I have ever come across.
Behavior like this is completely abominable to me and I just do not understand what would compel someone to treat strangers this way.  If you ever find that your relative is acting this way toward their health-care providers (the ones who do the grossest and toughest of jobs) please correct this behavior. It is repulsive, and whether we want to or not it will in some way affect their care.  It sounds harsh, but it is the truth for every healthcare professional.  Never in my life, even at this very moment, would I ever consider treating a patient with less than my absolute best.  However, when you are being disrespected it is difficult to not be filled with anger that makes you feel negative toward that person.  I know it is a flaw that myself and other nurses need to improve on, but the patients also need to develop tact and politeness so we can the passionate patient advocates that fueled our fire to be nurses.

2 comments:

  1. Many folk with early dementia (particularly frontal lobe dementia) have that layer of "inhibition" taken away. In which case, speaking to the person or having their family speak to them will result in exactly zero change in behaviour. Disinhibition is often one of the first signs of dementia in 60 and 70 year olds.
    I work in aged care, and many of the folk (particularly but not exclusively men) have this early level of dementia that means they make inappropriate comments, particularly to or about the nursing staff. We remind them, politely but firmly, that such is not acceptable behaviour. It has very little effect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this man doesn't have dementia, but the information you posted is incredibly helpful for other residents we have! thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete