Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Avoid the 3pm-11pm shift !

Being young with zero healthcare experience it was almost impossible to get a job after passing boards.  In a thriving economy it is common for student nurses to secure jobs months before graduation.  With our current economical situation, it took myself and fellow new-to-nursing colleagues at least two months to obtain a job after graduation.  We were even told in school to expect the shifts we don't want in our least-desired position.

Excited to receive my first job offer, I took a 3-11 shift at my current employer.  The pay was outstanding and I was tired of waitressing only make ends meet.  This seemed perfect - great pay, opportunities to grow and learn, and I really enjoyed the population I would be working with.

WRONG.  My life was over.
Everyone I know, and mostly everyone in the US, works first shift.  My six months working second shift did give me experience and income that I needed however my social and family life dwindled to a point that I started on an antidepressant.  I live with my boyfriend and was only spending a total of twelve hours per week with him (at the most).  I saw my family and friends once every two weeks if I was lucky. Anyone my age should not be missing out on such memorable family and social experiences.  And for those of you who have younger kids, please avoid!  You don't want to be absent during their youth and when they need you the most.

Of course there are always negatives and positives to each story.  If you are a parent of older children who don't live at home, take this position.  If you already have a minimal social life and/or already seldom spend time with your family, take this position.  If you're to a point where you're so strapped for cash and you need the pay differential, take this shift.

I spent six months working 3-11 and would never go back.  My happiness and relationships are far more important than the extra $2/hour pay differential.  I escaped by changing to a per diem position at the same company and that decision has dramatically changed my life for the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment