Saturday, August 27, 2011

Go with your gut!

I officially have had my license for over a year and in October will have been practicing for a year.  This inexperience *always* makes me second-guess myself.

Follow your gut instinct!

Recently I had a patient who was AAOx3 but bedbound.  No supplemental oxygen, no respiratory issues. I had been her nurse one evening and the next morning she just did not look right.  My gut told me something was wrong but my minimal experience prevents me from ever being 100% positive of anything.  I went with my gut and, long story short, she was sent to the hospital and diagnosed with aspiration.  She died. There was nothing I could have done to prevent it, as it was only the start of my shift and I was doing rounds when I noticed it.  I'm glad I did follow my instinct otherwise she would have suffered longer and passed away sooner.

No comments:

Post a Comment