Saturday, August 27, 2011

stress

When I attended nursing school full-time and worked part-time as a waitress I was positive my crazy schedule was the most stressful my young adult years could ever be. Now I work full-time hours as a Registered Nurse and my stress level is through the roof.  Lives are in my hands.  Making a mistake could result in hurting someone or losing my license. There are way too many tasks to be done in an 8.5hour shift and I sit down for literally only my 30 minute meal break (*if I even get one*).  A majority of nurses experience these things and really need to find a way to overcome the immense stress from the field.

Start with a nonpharmacological stress intervention!  The amount of stress from my career was seriously affecting the relationship with my significant other and neither of us realized it until I almost lost him.  This sounds totally obvious, but join a damn gym!

I am in no way a physically active person, aside from work, and becoming a member at the gym was the best thing I could do for myself.  We all know the obvious benefits of exercise - better health, weight loss, being more alert and awake, etc.  My stress has greatly diminished because now I have a release and can get it off my mind.  Give it at least a one month trial and see how much a difference it will make. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment