Saturday, January 28, 2012

Mental Health

It has been quite a while since my last post and that is primarily because of my new job as a psych nurse.  I now work at a hospital for kids and adolescents with behavioral (and other psych) diagnoses.  I do still have my per diem (pool) nursing position at the med-surg facility.

Mental health in general holds a strong negative stigma - whether you are a doctor, nurse, and especially a patient.  What most do not realize is that almost everyone you encounter has some form of mental health problem.  Myself, for example, suffer from depression and anxiety.

This hospital can be frustrating because most of the patients are extremely misbehaved and their actions can be appalling.  We have to put them in physical holds, prevent them from harming each other, prevent them from self-mutilation, etc.  Please remember, however, that mental health diagnoses stem not only from our genetics but also from experiences. A lot of these kids have histories of abuse; sexual, physical, and emotional from a family member or someone they trusted. Also, a majority of them also have had poor guidance throughout their lives - typically their parents are absent or suffer from substance abuse and treat them poorly.  Please keep this in mind the next time you judge someone for having any form of psych or behavioral problem.

As I continue working I will write about my experiences in mental health to provide my readers with a more clear image of this misunderstood world.

No comments:

Post a Comment